Monday, December 12, 2011

Are you ready for success?

Do not let this book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written it in. Then you will be prosperous and successful.  Joshua 1:8

The psalmist prays, “O Lord, grant us success” (Ps. 118:25), but have you ever explicitly prayed for this? So you think you are ready for it? If your answer is a quick yes, then I would caution you to be careful.

Every Thursday I would spend two hours with Dr. Lloyd-Jones, sitting at his feet, discussing the sermon for the following Sunday. He once made this throw-away comment, and I immediately got my pen and wrote it down. It was the most powerful word I ever heard him say, yet it’s in none of his books: “The worst thing that can happen to a man is to succeed before he is ready.” It was a word of wisdom to me at the time.

If you do want success, do you think you are really ready for it?

What kind of success are we talking about? It may be prosperity. God does indeed give financial prosperity to some, though Christians who have wealth tend to come in for a certain of criticism that may spoil their enjoyment of it. However, once in a while, God will raise up a Joseph of Arimathea or a Lydia. (See matt 27:57-60; Acts 16:14-15.)

God may want you to have influence with people, but how marvelous it would be if you could be trusted with a ministry of prayer. Some are more successful in prayer than others. Why? Because they want to be successful in prayer. I challenge you to make that your goal.

The worst thing that can happen to a person is to succeed before he’s ready. But if you succeed because god says you’re ready, there won’t be that “after” of regret. If you succeed in prayer, you will have known success greater than any other.  Maybe books won’t be written about you, but when you stand before God and Jesus Himself looks at you and says, “Well done!” it will be the greatest feeling, and it will last forever.
Excerpted from Where God shows Up (Renew Books, 1998) R. T. Kendall

My Response:
Abba, I thank you for this time and these times of preparation. You were in every moment of it; you are even now preparing me for the work and life you wish, thank you. You have tried to teach me, and I have so much more to learn, thank you for being so willing a teacher. I thank you for this statement, “the worst thing that can happen to a man is to succeed before he is ready.” Forgive me for thinking I was ready; I wasn’t then and perhaps not even now. But you are at work within me, thank you!

Yes, I’s like success in those places where it matters, my marriage, our children, in ministry and in our community. Yes, I’d like (and thank you for) prosperity, but then again, I bless you for the gift of prosperity I already enjoy. Forgive that which is solely about the desire for more, only to be consumed upon myself.

I thank you for the influence you’ve given me. May I continue to find ways to use it for your glory and the benefit of others. Help me to understand what it is, and power it has to advance your Kingdom and restore lives. May I able to understand what it is you have given in it.

And yes, I thank you for this prayer ministry you’ve given. It began with just a small group of pastors, and now reaches a larger number. I had no idea you would use it as you have to bless others. I didn’t get it then, nor do I now; it’s not my ministry, but yours; use it as you will for those who need it.

I ask that you will continue to help me to see myself as you do. I thank you for an open heart to love those, who like myself have been "...wounded in the house of friend," in places where there should have been healing, they found wounding, and damage. May I become one of your instruments of healing, repair and strength to these as well as others, for your glory. Jesus, its all about you, I thank you for calling me allowing me to be a small part of your work of restoration, reconciliation, repair and healing to broken people just like myself. I thank you for preparing me for the days yet to come, IN Your Name I pray, AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment