Monday, November 5, 2012

A prayer on Monday before the U.S. Election - 11/5/2012

Abba, today I thank you that you have allowed us to live in a county where we enjoy the freedom of electing those who will lead us. I pray that You will guide us as we vote. We have divided ourselves along several different lines, political, social, racial and economic. I get to choose who I think best represents what i see as a means to ‘fix’ the problems that face us all as a people and a nation. Somewhere in this ‘mix’ I forgot to ask you, “thy will be done, . . . ; on earth as it is in heaven.” So guide my thinking and direction as I select those that You know and want in these trying times.

Lord, not only do I need you, but our the county in which you have blessed me to live. Thank you for being concerned about not only me, and those who ‘think or feel’ as I do, but those who don’t as well. Their not my enemy, someone to be beaten and then destroyed; but my fellow citizens over which you are Lord as well. Once the polls are closed and someone is elected, my I bow my head in thanksgiving to and for your blessing for a process which leads to change without violence and bloodshed.

May I embrace those elected as Your choice, because the “powers that be are ordained of God.” Why have you selected these or those, I don't know, but You are God, and may I learn to breath and trust Your judgement, yes, even when I don’t like it, or think it best.

I thank you that “this world is not my home,” You’ve blessed me to be a part of a solution I don’t always understand. You place us in places of heartbreak and struggle; where wound are deep and memories are long. Where I wait for the chance to ‘get even,’ and refuse to hear Your Word, and say, “ . . . Father, forgive them.”

Our mission isn't to ‘change the world,’ but only my piece or part of it for your purpose and glory. To love those who don’t love themselves and don’t know how to love others. Help me to be You to them. You are all we really have. If I succeed and beat down my enemy, and those I’ve defeated, how different am I then those who have not your Spirit? Yes, Lord I want a different outcome, but you are in the one I have to deal with, grant me grace and peace, not only when the outcome is announced, not only to accept it, but to work within it for Your purpose.

Today I confess I don’t like suffering or means by which You bring or allow it. Thank you for the struggle to understand this purpose or reason You’ve allowed it. May I embrace you, my Lord, Savior and my God for the reason, and purpose You’ve chosen at this time and place.

Thank you for making me Your own, and walking me through even my ‘dark night of the soul,” because I know, “ . . . You are with me, Your rod and Your staff they comfort me, surly goodness and mercy shall follow me all the day of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” AMEN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment