Wednesday, January 12, 2011

This thing called prayer

As you may know, I'm reading a book and as a result I've been 'slapped' pretty hard. It isn't often I read a well known author who says, "I told the Lord that my prayer life stunk." Does that sound like anyone you know? Yeah, ME! " "That I found no enjoyment in prayer. found it boring and uneventful. Flat out I did not like to pray. I knew it was supposed to be a big deal for followers of Christ, but it came up short with me. Blatant honesty. No holds barred. In point of fact, I believe I told the Lord I wasn't even sure I wanted him to change all that, because the idea of a life of old stuffy prayer did not appeal to me."

Okay, let's get honest. That sound so much like me, I could have written it! What? No, no T.A. (Tony) Burns, yep! If we are ever to grow, we must begin with acknowledging where we are. Not where we wish we were, or liked to be, but were we are NOW. Reading more about prayer may be a start, but praying is hard work, and it requires a lot more than mental assent.

 ". . . a good prayer life is God's business, not mine." There is actually a Spirit of prayer, according to Ole Hallesby, he wrote that without this Spirit of prayer all prayer is empty an ineffective. But if I seek God, who is willing to give me much more that I can ask, if I am willing to ask. Somehow, if I think about it, I haven't asked. I have not because I ask not, or I ask amiss. That's "a wake up call."

Is there anyone out there like me? Will you dare acknowle my failure to pray is the result of feeling like it was a waste of time? Oh, I know I should do it, and Jesus said too, but, well and oh my . . .

Lord, I want it, that Spirit of prayer that ushers in your presence with power; life changing, healing, break through power, in my life, In Jesus Name, Amen.

Now that's just a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment