Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thoughts from this mornings Devotional

Are You Trapped in Bad Company?

Spanish novelist Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra wrote in his masterpiece, Don Quixote de la Mancha, quote. “Tell me thy company, and I will tell thee what thou art.” There is some truth to that statement. We are known by the company we keep.

We often believe that this concept applies only in our interaction with unbelievers; however, this can be applied to our relationship within the body of Christ, also.

Some years ago, I was in a situation where I found myself unwittingly in the grip of someone who I could see was not good for me. The person was our processing Christian, but I found myself in his grip. And I was leaning on him. I realize that this was wrong, and God delivered me from the situation. I was so thankful.

Am I advising you to avoid altogether unbelievers or certain members with in the body of Christ? Most certainly not. However, ask the Lord to shine His light on the various relationships in your life.

Could it be that at this moment, you are in this snare? You are trapped with bad company, and they are doing you no good. Maybe, however, you have to rationalize the situation and make up excuses concluding that you can be an exception. You wouldn’t recommend anybody else to do what you're doing.

The worst thing that you can do, however, is to begin to think that you are the exception to the rule. For the devil will come along side and say that you are different, that you can associate with the wrong company. Then, before you know it, you are in a trap.

It is a wonderful thing to realize that God delivers us from bad company.

Maybe, you are in a situation where you are being wrongly influence. And as a consequence, you have lost the sense of inner peace. Where the Spirit of Lord is there is liberty. But bad company causes you to lose the peace the God wants you to have. I ask you, are you in the grip of bad company?

R. T. Kendal – Excerpted from Higher Ground

My response:
Lord, I praise you for your instruction. . “Tell me thy company, and I will tell thee what thou art.” For far too long, I have sometimes sought out those men, who I thought would be good for me, career, or ministry. To find, I was totally wrong. I wanted to be associated with them for all the wrong reasons and purposes. Self and selfishness often can disguise itself. If it's all about me, Jesus, there can be very little of yourself. Even in this we often "jockey" for the best church, position or assignment, do forgive me Lord.

So we're you want to be, and what is it you want me to do for your glory? Not my own. You moved, and I am following. Not to be defiant or difficult, but because you purpose in me (us) isn’t what you called others too. I am a part your body, plan and purpose. Jesus help me to trust you’re leading away from the influence I think can do me the most good, (there, I've said it.)

You made me (wired) me as you have for purpose. You know where I will serve you best. Help me to seek nothing more than yourself and that for your glory. Jesus, you gave me a heart to love like yourself. I'm sure there were times of pain with your disciples. Yet, you lead by example, helped me to be more like you, and less like me.

I know, what I wanted, but what you want, for me, is so much better and with a higher purpose. This means that there are those I must leave behind, love them, but it is time to move on. Some relationships aren't healthy for me; they will keep me from following you. Good people yes, but your purpose has to be accomplished. Will I ever be allowed stopped loving and caring of our old them, NO! You have a new plan. Your plan hasn't changed but where and with whom has.

Lord, I want to hold on to what was, yet you say “follow me.” Those relationships have reached their purpose and end. If I continue to trying to salvage them, will mean I must move away from you, and that isn’t somewhere. I (or you) want to be. You are the best company to keep in step with.

No comments:

Post a Comment