Thursday, October 20, 2011

A response to this mornings devotional...

The Proof of Conversion (October 20, 2011)

There are many women who are angry with god because they feel He did not give them good looks, and men find them unattractive. Perhaps you feel this way, Let me ask you a question: So you wish you looked different, that you were better-looking than you are? I suppose we all wish that. But maybe, one day, when we get to heaven, we’ll see it was a particular kindness, which we couldn’t see at the time, that god made us just as we are. Do you know what God wants to achieve in you and me? He wants us to come to terms with our looks, with our gifts, with our limitations, with our place in society, with our parents, with the way we’ve been treated, and to learn to like ourselves like that. One of the greatest evidences of grace is that we like ourselves just as we are.

The proof of conversion is that you see through to the true God and don’t let circumstances divert you. I have often been amazed how black people in the deep South ever became saved when I consider how badly their masters treated them. Yet they heard talk of heaven and knew one day they were going there, where they would be out of their misery. They could identify with that. That’s why they were converted. God has a way of getting us past our circumstances. No matter how dreadful our experiences might have been, God has a way of reaching us, and the most unlikely person can be the most glorious convert. The experiences that may have caused us to feel the deepest bitterness can turn out to be our salvation. God has designed all things to get us to look to Him.
R. T. Kendall – Excerpted from: All’s Well That Ends Well (Authentic Media, 2005)

My Response:
Abba, I must begin with confession (again;) I have not been pleased with how you made me. You’re not surprised by this are you? Then again, I haven’t worked well with what you did give me, either. You made me as you have for a reason, and today I say, THANK YOU! Maybe one day in heaven I will be all I wish I were, but for today, I thank you. I may not be fully aware of what you want to achieve in me, but I want to permit you to do your best work in me. Help me to begin to, yes come to terms with, my looks, gifts and yes, my limitations, even my place in society. I thank you for my parents, Paul and Evenly burns; for how I have been treated, (and those like me.) Help me to like myself as I am, and not as I wish I were. Thank you for teaching me to like myself as I am, and not as someone I wish I were. Grant me grace to be the person you meant me to be.

I thank you for the gifts you’ve given me, to care for others, it matters not who they are, their place or position, thank you for allowing me to reach out to them as a demonstration of your love to someone who might otherwise be considered a stranger. You have time and time again, allowed me to see them as they are, and show your love and care for them, by offering nothing more than friendship. Grant me grace to accept the fact that not everyone won’t see this as a good gift. Help me not to be diverted from giving love and concern for them.

I thank you for making me as you have, forgive me for those moments when I would like to be someone else. I have allowed the culture to say to me, “if only, if only I were…” Thank you for your portion to me. Help me to love without purpose or desire for it to be returned, to give without thought of getting, of caring without the demand for reward.

I thank you for your ability to get past my circumstances, you had a lot of work to do here, but thank you. May I see you in the difficult places and moments s my life; may I be do filled with your love that those I meet may know of your care for them. “O drive these dark clouds from the sky, Thy soul cheering presence restore…”

I love you Jesus for loving me, and converting me in your likeness, a little more each day. You are cleansing me from the bitterness of hatred and self loathing I have so often felt. I thank you for doing your bet work in me. AMEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment